SWIM LESSONS FOR EVERYONE
Swimmers learn water safety and swimming fundamentals as they progress through skill levels, meet their aquatic goals, and develop an appreciation for the sport.Lesson FAQ’s Program Overview
AGES 6mo-3yrs | SWIM STARTERS (Parent/child program)
- 30 Minute Class
- 1 to 12 instructor to parent/child pair ratio
PARENT PARTICIPATION REQUIRED. Introduce your baby to the aquatics environment through exploration and encourage them to enjoy themselves while learning about the water. Parents are guided to work with their child to explore fundamental safety and aquatics skills.
AGES 3-5 | PRESCHOOL PROGRAM
- 30 Minute class
- 1 to 5 instructor to student ratio Register Online for Preschool Lessons
AGES 6-12 | SCHOOL AGE PROGRAM
- 40 min class
- 1 to 6 instructor to student ratio
Enroll in swim lessons based on age and the Y’s new swim lesson curriculum will ensure you or your swimmer is receiving the proper level of instruction.
From beginners to seasoned swimmers, participants will become comfortable in the pool, develop personal safety and prgress through aquatics skills that focus on body position, control, forward movement, rotary breathing, integrated arm & leg action, swim stroke technique and all major competitive strokes.
With six levels that advance participants from swim basics to swim strokes, you are on the way to a safe and fun life in the water! Participant’s level is based on mastery of required skills and will be determined by instructor on the first day of class.
Levels include: (instructor selects level based on swimmer’s experience on first day of class)
- Level 1 – Water Acclimation
- Level 2 – Water Movement
- Level 3 – Water Stamina
- Level 4 – Stroke Introduction
- Level 5 – Stroke Development
- Level 6 – Stroke Mechanics
AGES 13 & UP | TEEN & ADULT PROGRAM
- 40 minute class
- 1 to 6 instructor to participant ratio
For first-time to seasoned swimmers, teens and adults will focus on the fundamentals, stroke development, breathing, endurance and water safety.
- CANCELLATIONS 7 DAYS OR LESS BEFORE CLASS START DATE ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND/CREDIT
- We require a minimum of 3 participants to run a class. In the event that a class does not have enough participants, we will attempt to move you to another class or offer a credit. We do not issue refunds except in extenuating circumstances.
- Proper bathing suit attire is required. A swim diaper with elastic around the legs and waist must be worn by participants who are not potty trained. Swim diapers are available at the front desk for $1.
- Parents are invited to watch the class, but are asked not to interrupt the class. Any questions should be directed towards the supervisor on deck.
- All program sessions will meet 8 times. If the YMCA has to cancel regularly scheduled lessons, a make up lesson will be offered, most likely outside of scheduled class times.
Southeast Family YMCA
256.883.9622 Ext. 126